By David Punter
This consultant offers an outline of the main major matters and debates in Gothic reports.
- Provides an outline of the main major concerns and debates in Gothic studies.
- Explains the origins and improvement of the time period Gothic.
- Explores the evolution of the Gothic in either literary and non-literary types, together with artwork, structure and film.
- Features authoritative readings of key works, starting from Horace Walpole’s The fort of Otranto to Bret Easton Ellis’s American Psycho.
- Considers recurrent matters of the Gothic corresponding to persecution and paranoia, key motifs akin to the haunted citadel, and figures corresponding to the vampire and the monster.
- Includes a chronology of key Gothic texts, together with fiction and movie from the 1760s to the current day, and a accomplished bibliography.
Read or Download The Gothic (Wiley Blackwell Guides to Literature) PDF
Best Gothic Romance books
Tom Lockwood's examine is the 1st exam of Jonson's position within the texts and tradition of the Romantic age. half one of many booklet explores theatrical, serious, and editorial responses to Jonson, together with his position within the post-Garrick theatre, serious estimations of his existence and paintings, and the politically charged making and reception of William Gifford's 1816 version of Jonson's Works.
The simplest identified number of the traditional novel - occasionally pointed out with the traditional novel tout court docket - is the Greek love novel. The query of its origins has intrigued students for hundreds of years and has been the focal point of loads of examine. Stefan Tilg proposes a brand new way to this old puzzle through arguing for a private inventor of the style, Chariton of Aphrodisias, who wrote the 1st Greek (and, with that, the 1st eu) love novel, Narratives approximately Callirhoe, within the mid-first century advert.
A entire consultant to the poems, prose, biography, rules and contexts of Byron, entries variety from targeted insurance of the key poems to goods on Byron's songs, dialog, curiosity in boxing, swimming and vampires, and sexual liaisons; additionally the 'Byronic Hero', Byron in fiction and drama, and his pervasive effect on next literature.
On the finish of the eighteenth century, scientists for the 1st time validated what medieval and renaissance alchemists had lengthy suspected; ice isn't really dead yet very important, a crystalline revelation of lively powers. Studied in esoteric and exoterical representations of frozen phenomena, numerous Romantic figures - together with Coleridge and Poe, Percy and Mary Shelley, Emerson and Thoreau - challenged conventional notions of ice as waste and in its place celebrated crystals, glaciers, and the poles as certain disclosures of a holistic precept of being.
Extra resources for The Gothic (Wiley Blackwell Guides to Literature)